Shower door tracks need to be cleaned every once in a while. When not cleaned, the tracks tend to accumulate a lot of soap scum and hard water minerals which, can cause the sliding mechanism of the door to malfunction. The tracks also become slippery and unsightly.
To clean shower door tracks, soak up the dirt with a cleaning solution such as vinegar, lemon juice, peroxide, baking soda, or any other commercial cleaner, scrub it off and then wipe away the residual dirt with a cloth or paper towel.
Below are details on various methods, tools and steps to follow. Before trying any of the methods below, first, do away with hair and dirt that can be easily removed without deploying special cleaning tools or solutions. Ensure that whichever cleaning product you choose is safe for your shower doors.
White vinegar can be used to clean aluminum shower door tracks. Due to its acidic nature, it is effective in killing mold and mildew that may have grown on the door tracks.
- White vinegar
- Spray bottle
- Old toothbrush
- Sponge/ magic eraser
You can the kit below from Amazon
- Put the white vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Spray it carefully on the tracks and avoid spilling it on the floor.
- Allow the vinegar to settle on the track for about 10-30 seconds.
- Using an old brush, scrub the track to get rid of soap scum and grime.
- Use the magic eraser on areas that have stubborn stains.
- Dip a sponge in water and wipe the track.
- Repeat the process is the shower is not as clean as required.
Using Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a good cleaning agent especially if the shower door track is crusty.
- Lemon or lemon juice
- Cut the lemon into four and dip one quarter in salt.
- Scrub the tracks using the quarter lemon.
- Allow it to sit for about 25-30 minutes.
- For the areas that have much grime, use the toothbrush to get rid of the grime.
- Use a wet cloth to rinse the track.
Alternatively, you can also make a paste consisting of lemon juice and salt. Use the toothbrush to apply the paste on the door tracks.
Baking soda is a good abrasive detergent that gets rid of soap scum and mildew that is stuck on the door tracks. Here are the materials needed and a few steps to follow when you are using the baking soda:
- Baking soda
- Microfiber cloth
- Make a paste by mixing water and baking soda in a bowl.
- Dip the toothbrush into the paste and scrub the tracks.
- If the grime and mildew is stubborn, use the microfiber cloth to apply the paste on the tracks and let it sit for almost an hour.
- Scrub the track again with the brush to get rid of any remaining grime.
- Rinse and wipe down the track.
Hydrogen peroxide is not as harsh as bleach is, thus it is suitable for cleaning.
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Spray bottle
- Dish soap (Dawn)
- Mix a cup of hydrogen peroxide with a few drops of dawn and put the mixture in a spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture on the door tracks and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Using an old toothbrush, scrub of the grime and soap scum.
- Dip the cloth in water and rinse all the Dawn away because it can be slippery.
Commercial cleaners can also be used to clean up the mildew, grime and soap scum that may be stuck on the door track.
- Old toothbrush
- Clean spray bottle
- Magic eraser
Procedure to use a commercial cleaner
- Some chemicals might be harsh and cause harm to your hands therefore it is important that you put on gloves to protect yourself.
- Pour the cleaner into a spray bottle and sprinkle the cleaner on the door tracks.
- Let the cleaner sit for the time stated on the cleaner’s instructions. This enables the soap scum and mildew to become loosened thus making it easy to scrub.
- Using an old toothbrush, scrub off the soap scum and mildew until the track is clean.
- Rinse the track with water and dry it with a dry rag.
Quick-Glo is one of the most popular cleaner for stainless glass shower tracks
Steamers used for clothes or even floors can also be used to clean the shower door tracks.
- Steamer with wand (Kiato 10 in 1 is one the best)
- Plastic putty knife
Steps to clean a door track using a steamer
- Before you begin the cleaning process, read all the instructions on how to use the steamer and ensure that you can use it effectively.
- Run the steamer over the tracks so as to break down water deposits and the gunk.
- For areas with stubborn stains and dirt, use a tooth brush and putty knife to loosen it.
- Repeat the whole process to make sure that the tracks are sparkling clean.
Using a Mold Remover
This is a simple process that only takes a short time to clean and requires simple materials.
- Mold remover
- Paper towels
- Bucket of water
- Spray mold remover on the shower door track using a spray bottle.
- Wipe the track thoroughly with the sponge.
- Rinse the sponge in water and wipe off the mold remover from the door track.
- Use the paper towels to wipe the tracks dry.
Tips to keep the shower doors clean
After thoroughly cleaning the shower door tracks, you will need to maintain them clean and here are a few tips to help you keep them clean:
- After every shower, make sure you wipe the door tracks. This is easy because it only requires few minutes and is effective in keeping away the mildew. Daily cleaning also ensures that the shower doors continue to slide easily.
- Check whether there were holes or spaces left on the caulking for water drainage. If not, make a few notches to ensure that water is drained thus discouraging the growth of mildew on the track.
- You should run a bar of paraffin over the track after cleaning it. This helps the door track to resist dirt and damage.
- Set and follow a regular cleaning schedule. Cleaning the shower doors and tracks weekly is a good cleaning schedule.
- Consider installing heavy glass doors which have fewer tracks compared to regular doors. This means less dirt will be trapped in the tracks which translates minimal cleaning.
- Remember that nothing lasts forever. Be sure to replace your shower doors if they’ve aged.
- Avoid cleaning solutions/tools that are too aggressive since they may damage the tracks. Be sure to check the instructions on cleaning products and tools.
As an Amazon Associate, we may earn an affliate commission whenever you purchase through links on our pages. Disclosure here